24.07.2013 Leeds Arena, Leeds, England

Tänne kaikki keskustelu vuoden 2013 kiertuesta
Liisa S
Daydream Believer

Re: 24.07.2013 Leeds Arena, Leeds, England

Viesti Kirjoittaja Liisa S »

Lopultakin toimiva netti, ja sain luettua teidän valvojaiset. Eiliseltä mulle kohokohtia olivat 41 (nebäliinoja kului), This Depression ja Secret Garden, joka paikallisella murteella lausutaan "Secret fuckin' Garden. Aivan mieletön akustiikka paikan päällä, piippuhyllylle kuului joka laulun sana ja soittimet erottuivat.
teromk
Travelin' Man

Viesti Kirjoittaja teromk »

kekko kirjoitti:
teromk kirjoitti:
The Rikza kirjoitti:
teromk kirjoitti:Kaksi kylttiä pakattu. Toivottavasti viimesen kerran.
Onnea matkaan! Mikäs biisi on metsästyksessä Circus Storyn jälkeen?
Kiitos! Se on se Graalin malja eli NYCS.
Mikäs sitten Graalin maljan jälkeen tulee? Sekä Circu Story että NYCS kullaan viikonlopun aikana Kilkennyssä.
Njaa, sitten oon kyllä jo aika kylläinen. Jotain vähemmän soitettuja herkkuja silloin tällöin pitää mut tyytyväisenä.
Salla
Downbound Train

Viesti Kirjoittaja Salla »

Kiitokset keikkarapsoista! Todella hieno settilista jälleen, tosin olin varautunut johonkin vielä hiukan pahempaan. Upea ilta kuitenkin paikan päällä varmasti. Nyt tärisee jo kädet viikonloppua varten!
Tonight I'll be on that hill 'cause I can't stop
Liisa S
Daydream Believer

Jos Tero ja Päivi tai ainakin se kyltti olisivat olleet pitissä eilen, Circus Story olisi tullut aivan varmasti, sillä se kylttien keruu oli just tällaisia toiveita varten. Mutta toivottavasti sitten Kilkennyssä.
Kipa71
Jack Of All Trades

Viesti Kirjoittaja Kipa71 »

Mun täytyy myöntää, että toi Secred Garden ei oo ollu mulle niinkään tuttu biisi. Mut nyt tutustuin siihen. Onpa aikamoinen tunnelataus!Saispa joskus livenä kuulla! Hyviä viikonloppu keikkoja kaikille niille meneville.ja tietty keikkavalvojaisia meille muille! Kiitos keikkakuulumisista!
Liisa S
Daydream Believer

Bruce Springsteen at First Direct Arena, Leeds UK, Wednesday July 24th, 2013
or
Tonight we'll play anything which sounds good

This brand new arena in Leeds, One Direction Arena - oops, I mean First Direct Arena is said to have very good acoustics and as it is also a smallish indoor venue and this date is very close to the end of this leg and probably the end of all of Wrecking Ball Tour, the expectations for this show are extremely high, especially as the Cardiff show (also indoors) last night had been long and had had incredible set list.

Tonight me and all the other Finns present (just four of us) have seats instead of more normal GA tickets, but we anyway arrive early because who knows if there is a preshow tonight? Doors are not yet opened at 6 pm, and the arena management comes out to tell that "E Street Band is still practicing". Hmm, that sounds promising! Or are the pit folks already in and treated with a preshow?

Finally we enter and climb up way high to the 300's, close to the rafters and look how tiny those people wandering in the pit and gathering around the black stage. It is clearly Bruce's own stage, but the smallish arena stage instead of the bigger stadium stage seen in most European shows. But this venue is small, although way up here it feels quite high. Just one bench row between me and the ceiling. No preshow tonight.

Finally the band enters the stage, no greetings or other small talk but Max launches immediately a fast beat which I can't immediately recognize, what is this? Roulette! That's one opening I could have never guessed, excellent! Love this, so nice that they decided to do it here too. They continue immediately with My Love Will Not Let You Down. The rocking start is continued with No Surrender.

Something in the Night is the first quieter song, and how beautiful it sounds here. But wait, what is this haunting intro after it, it sounds like 41 Shots, it cant be, but it is! Another surprise for us here in Leeds. That chant rises from so many mouths now, although this audience isn't that good to sing when compared to some other shows I've seen. This was yet another song I thought i would never ever hear live. Definitely tissue time right now.

We continue with The Promised Land, and my part of audience decide to stand up already this early, during this 6th song. Good, as it is really proper to stand for rock stars. Some other Finns had problems later as the people sitting behind them shouted at them for standing short moments even every now and then, but luckily I could stand from now on all the time and it was ok with everyone else high up here as they were standing as well.

Hungry Heart follows, and as I had seen the corridor between pit and GA fances and the small stage there, it was easy to guess that Bruce will crowd surf once again and right, there he goes! I'm so high up that I can't always see where he is when he is walking there, but I just have to look at the hands of the pit folks, every arm points always straight towards him when he is close. Small pit, just few hundred people in and it looks like they nearly dropped Bruce after first few meters but the rest of the surfing goes ok, although this is more like randon zig zag than proper bee line.

Now Bruce collects signs and takes 4-5 cardboards to the stage with some comments like "We'll try that", "We haven't played that for a while" and "Aha, that is for later". Afrer collecting he says something like that was all he is going to take and so please keep the rest of them down now so others behind you can see. Nice.

First request choice tonight is Local Hero, yet another "stump the audience" song and clearly the most suitable beer run time for quite many listeners. Casual fans have never heard this, and are not going to listen to it now although it is quite a treat for us diehards. Rumours told that this had been practised in several sound checks, so it wasn't that big surprise. Bruce tells that the next song is an outtake from the Darkness album, and shows us a sign saying Gotta Get This Feeling. Not my preferred choice from the Promise album, but it will do. Definitely.

When leafing through the plates he had collected, Bruce says something like "Tonight we'll play anything which sounds good". Right, that's the proper way to honor this brand new venue with really excellent acoustics! I have never heard E Street Band this clearly and beautifully. I can hear every word of the lyrics, I can hear all the instruments. This is a nice concert venue indeed. Congrats, Leeds!

Next song is a CCR cover Bad Moon Rising, yet another new song for me and not a bad version either, quite CCR-ish. The fourth request in this slot is tonight Thundercrack, fabulous! I have carried a request for this in many shows (like many other folks), but I had never heard it. This is fun, and Jake sings Clarence's old parts.

After these requests there are the familiar songs from the new album, Wrecking Ball and Death To My Hometown. Then an intro I just can't recognize, not even the first lyrics. Bruce alone with an electric guitar, is this something from the solo albums? Oh, it is This Depression, and now the full band joins! My fav song from the WB album, great! Nils does a long "Nils special" solo, which in my opinion doesn't fit thos song at all and they kind of seem to be losing the rhythm, but the end of that solo, when Bruce joins in with his guitar, is the most awesome Spectorian wall of sound moment I've ever witnessed. ESB can really do this 100% live, amazing!

It is followed by Because the Night, which today features Bruce's incredible guitar solo instead of the more common Nils' solo. Darlington County is fun like always, and Bruce drags poor Nils halfway along the lane between fences. In the beginning of Shackled & Drawn Bruce tries to start the shoveling intro so familiar to us Finns, but not many people join in. Shame, as it would have sounded good here with this acoustics. For some reason it doesn't seem to work outside Finland, as I have heard it properly just in Helsinki last summer and in Turku #2 this spring.

Little singing boy on stage in Waitin' on a Sunny Day. The Rising follows, and the main set is ended with Land of Hope and Dreams. Will there be any rarities in th encore, or do we get just the normal encore?

Now Bruce says something about a fan or some fans following the band for long, the next song is for them. From the first familiar organ notes I realise that it sounds like Secret Garden, oh can it really be? After a second or so a British guy in front of me also figures out the song, turns to his mates and says "Secret fuckin' Garden!" which is quite likely the proper British way to pronounce the name of this beautiful song. Another holy shit moment and one of the biggest highlights for me tonight!

Atlantic City, how nice it sounds here. Then Badlands, here in the encores? Ok, Bruce probably just forgot to do it earlier. Born to Run is followed by Dancing in the Dark, which fills the stage with dancrs. First a girl gets to dance with Curt Ramm from the horns, who turns out to be quite a dancer and also seems to enjoy this and then a whole family of at least seven members also gets up to dance with Bruce and the rest of the band while Jake blows his sax.

Tenth Avenue Freeze-Out treats us again with a pitch perfect, arena filling wall of sound, this is something you just can't hear outdoors or at bigger venues build mainly for sport events! Last of the songs done with the band is tonight Shout, and I have really wanted to hear this Isley Brothers cover. So nice that it has stayed in the set list.

The show is ended by two acoustic solo songs, and the first of them is a beautiful If I Should Fall Behind. Sadly, the "I fookin' love ya" guy is naturally in da house tonight, and he chooses just this magic moment to shout out his ancient love call. Shit. Well, that alone wouldn't have been that bad but tonight he had all of his 27 brothers here and at least one sister too, and now their beer inspirated loud shouts can be heard all over the arena along with several wolf whistlers and other hecklers. Shit. This song really didn't need this. But listen to how strong and big Bruce's singing voice is during this lovely song. The show is ended with an acoustic Thunder Road.

Wow, so many rarities during just one show! You really can't afford to miss shows in small European indoor arenas as they so often are so good, and you can't afford to miss the very last shows of a leg. Now this Leeds show was both an indoors show, the very first public event at a brand new venue and one of the last shows of this European leg, perhaps even one of the last shows of all of the WB tour as no U.S. dates have been annonced after this, just some South American shows.

This show wasn't that long and Bruce wasn't as active as he could be, probably because the long Cardiff show last night had taken its toll, but this one was one of the best I've seen on this tour, close to the same quality as both Turku shows in Finland. Excellent set list, but not active enough audience tonight and as I was so high up, I could't get to the same mood as in pit. But now on to Kilkenny Weekender, the last dance this summer!

Set list:

Start 19:58

1. Roulette
2. My Love Will Not Let You Down
3. No Surrender
4. Something in the Night
5. American Skin (41 Shots)
6. The Promised Land
7. Hungry Heart
8. LOCAL HERO (request)
9. GOTTA GET THAT FEELING (request)
10. BAD MOON RISING (request)
11.Thundercrack (request)
12. Wrecking Ball
13. Death To My Hometown
14. This Depression
15. Because The Night
16. Darlington County
17. Shackled & Drawn
18. Waitin' on a Sunny Day
19. The Rising
20. Land of Hope and Dreams
-----
21. SECRET GARDEN
22. Atlantic City
23. Badlands
24. Born to Run
25. Dancing in the Dark
26. Tenth Avenue Freeze-Out
27. Shout
28. If I Should Fall Behind (Solo acoustic)
29. Thunder Road (Solo acoustic)

End 23:04
Ile
Saved by rock'n'roll

Viesti Kirjoittaja Ile »

Yhdeksän päivän euforia (osa 2/3)

Leeds:

Saavuin Leedsiin keikkapäivänä, jossa tapasin suunnitellusti Liisan. Nopean hotellilla piipahtamisen jälkeen siirryimme syömään ja sen jälkeen keikkapaikalle, kun ei ollut muutakaan tekemistä. Paikkamme olivat yläparvella, mutta sieltä näki varsin hyvin.
Paikka oli akustiikaltaan mahtava. Sen ansioista olisi toivonut paikalle toisen yleisön. Eikä pelkästään sen hapannaaman vuoksi, joka istui takanani (lisätiedot Leeds-ketjusta) vaan sen takia, että esimerkiksi If I Should Fall Behind ja Secret "fuckin'" Garden olisivat saaneet arvoisensa ympäristön.
Hyvä keikka, mutta ei nouse minulla Cardiffin veroiseksi. Suurin syy siihen takanani istunut ääliö. Tolkutin itselleni koko keikan ajan, ettei pitäisi välittää, mutta kyllä tuollaiset kohteliaat herrasmiehet vaan valitettavasti jäävät takaraivoon kolkuttamaan. Huvittavaa oli, että tämä mies istui vielä Shoutinkin aikana, kun koko muu yleisö seisoi. Itse seisoin siinä vaiheessa tukevasti portailla, jotten vaan häiritsisi hänen näkyvyyttään.
Onneksi jatkoseura hotellilla oli hyvää, mutta vähän vaisu fiilis jäi tästä keikasta, täysin Brucesta johtumattomista syistä.
Let go of the little distractions
Hold close to the ones that you love
Cause we won't all be here this time next year
So while you can, take a picture of us
JaSu
Drive All Night

Viesti Kirjoittaja JaSu »

Vasta nyt kerkesin kuuntelemaan Leeds-pätkiä ja kyllä täytyy sanoa, että akustiikka on salissa todellakin kohdallaan. Tällaisissa areenoissa pitäisi olla enemmän keikkoja, mutta tällaisia areenoja ei taida vaan olla olemassa liiemmälti. Taisi olla KaSTown kun mainitsi This Depressionin olleen kova ja niin se kyllä näköjään olikin. Hieno versio! Ylittää levyversion kepeästi.
I was Bruced and battered, I couldn´t tell what I felt. I was unrecognizable to myself on the seats of HK-Areena 8.5.2013
KaSTown
Drive All Night

Viesti Kirjoittaja KaSTown »

Viimeksi THL-serveri tilttas siirron, kun yritin esikatselua... No, nyt muutama kuva Leedsista kahdessa eri postauksessa... Lisää tullee jossain vaiheessa... Eli tässä Kuvia Leedsistä, osa 1 :)

Kuva
Kuva
Kuva
Kuva
Kuva
Kuva
Kuva
Kuva
Kuva
Kuva
Kuva
Kuva
Kuva
Kuva
Kuva
Kuva
Kuva
Kuva
Kuva
Kuva
Kuva
Kuva
Kuva
Kuva
Kuva
Kuva
Kuva
Kuva
Kuva
Kuva
Kuva
Kuva

Kuvat pienennettyjä, muutama hieman rajattuja, muuten käsittelemättömiä.
KaSTown
Drive All Night

Viesti Kirjoittaja KaSTown »

Ja tässä se luvattu kakkossetti kuvia Leedsistä... Jatkoa seurannee joku päivä... Kuvia Leedsistä, osa 2

Kuva
Kuva
Kuva
Kuva
Kuva
Kuva
Kuva
Kuva
Kuva
Kuva
Kuva
Kuva
Kuva
Kuva
Kuva
Kuva
Kuva
Kuva
Kuva
Kuva
Kuva
Kuva
Kuva
Kuva
Kuva
Kuva
Kuva
Kuva
Kuva
Kuva
Kuva
Kuva

Pienennettyjä, jotkut rajattua, käsittelemättömiä kuvia.
Vastaa Viestiin